Notes on porting ViSE to Bella 2.0 courtesy of D.Irwin

Hi all,

As I mentioned on our cluster-wide phone conference last week, we've
done an initial port of our ViSE controller to use the new generic,
non-VM-specific substrate API provided in the recent Bella release of
Orca.  Below are URL pointers to versions of our Anacortes-1.2
controller and our Bella-2.0 controller (in *.tgz format).  For nearly
all of the files, simply doing a diff between the Anacortes-1.2 file
and the corresponding Bella-2.0 file (there are no new files) should
provide a relatively good idea of what is involved to port an existing
controller.

Since the web application, as far as I know, is not yet released for
the new substrate API for Bella, we have tested this controller from
Eclipse using a controller-specific unit test in the src/main/test/
directory (we also created a new project for our controller in
Eclipse).   To do this, we built the controller using mvn package in
the controller's directory and copied the resulting *.tar.gz file to
$ORCA_HOME/tools/cmdline/startup.  We then created a Debug profile in
Eclipse for the test and set the home directory to
$ORCA_HOME/tools/cmdline.  The arguments we passed were "test.xml
do.not.recover=true," where the test.xml file we used is referenced
below and test.xml is located in $ORCA_HOME/tools/cmdline.

http://gaia.cs.umass.edu/~irwin/sensor-anacortes.tgz
http://gaia.cs.umass.edu/~irwin/sensor-bella.tgz
http://gaia.cs.umass.edu/~irwin/test.xml